Tuesday 1 August 2017

ConfigMgr patching - KB4025339 fails to install on Windows Server 2016

I had this problem recently on a customer site. It's an easy fix but I wanted to share to save others time.

Problem:
The CU for Windows Server 2016 July 2017 (KB4025339) failed to install on Windows Server 2016.

Resolution:
It's a pretty big update - over 1GB.


However the maximum run time of the update was incorrectly set to 10 minutes. Raising this to 60 minutes solves the problem.



Additional information:

I came across some other challenges while troubleshooting this issue.
  • The Windows Update log file is no longer available by default on Windows Server 2016. The file can be exposed using the PoSH cmdlet get-WindowsUpdateLog
  • However executing this command on the server resulted in this error:
    Cannot find path "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\SymSrv.dll" because it does not exist".
There are a few ways to solve this problem. I did it by enabling the Windows Defender feature on the server and I could then continue.

I hope this information helps you. Until next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment